In August of 2011 I married a Canadian. In December of the same year I graduated from WVU School of Nursing and relocated to Ontario. I had my BSN firmly in hand ready to take on the world. Little did I know, in my naivete, that becoming a nurse in Canada was going to be such a lengthy process. Each step affording the opportunity to make mistakes and each mistake prolonging my arrival the the destination. I also did not realize that there would be so little guidance available. Often the information I have received has been unclear further complicating matters.
That was now 14 months ago. I still do not have my RN in Ontario, my immigration is still not complete and I am still not able to work. I am in the country via a visitor record which expires with a promise of renewal in April. What I do have is a clear understanding of all of the processes I have thus far completed. My CRNE exam was last Wednesday (February 6th). My immigration should be complete in March, and a job no longer seems like something permanently unavailable to me.
I am writing this blog with the hope that I may one day help someone else with the USA to Canadian nursing transition and/or the immigration with sponsorship process. There are a lot of steps and many errors to be made. I hope that I can help save someone else some of the very time consuming mistakes I have made and if possible answer questions that may ease another persons experience.
My next blog will start at the beginning of the CNO's application process and I will share each step of my experience but most importantly the mistakes I made which delayed or complicated the process for me.
Stephanie
No comments:
Post a Comment