Monday, 8 April 2013

NAFTA! Who knew?

I made a trip to immigration in Buffalo because I needed to renew my visitor record.  My permanent residency has yet to be completed.  The easiest way for me to get this renewal was to travel to the border and get an updated form.  A reminder: this document is granted at the border.  It can be good for different amounts of time up to one year.  It is stapled onto your passport and though it does not promise your admission into Canada it defines your status and makes crossing easier. Without a visitor record US citizens are not supposed to be in Canada for more than 6 months.  This document is required in place of a visa which anyone in Canada who is not from North America must have.

A new visitor record can be obtained from the immigration website but it costs $75 and it can take 6 weeks to 3 months to process.  It would have been too long for me to wait because mine was due to expire on April 12th.

While at immigration I asked about the process of obtaining a work permit because (drum roll please....) I have been offered a job!  It was explained to me that nursing is a NAFTA occupation, and as such, all I needed to do is to return to immigration with:
a) $150 CA dollars
b) proof that my immigration physical (medicals) are complete and valid (they are good for 12 months)
c) a job offer letter from my perspective employer and
d) proof of my educational qualifications for the job (I am taking a copy of my diploma, my WV nursing license and a letter from the CNO which states that I have met the educational requirement). 
After validation of these requirements I will be immediately granted a work permit.

They have a new computer system at immigration.  While I was there the border guard was able to receive some assistance and found my medical information.  She gave me the necessary case numbers to give to the  immigration officer when I return. This will satisfy the medical portion of the work permit process.  I wrote down everything she said and her name to use when I return.  She was very helpful, and when I find people who are generous with their time and willing to go a little further for me, it sure does make a difference! 

I need to have another Criminal Background Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening and provide those to my employer to obtain the job offer letter.  The last Vulnerable Sector Screening I had was expired but my last Criminal Background Check was only 8 weeks ago.  These screenings are good for 6 months.  I learned that I made yet another mistake when I sent my last Criminal Background Check to the CNO.  I did not make a copy. Unless you absolutely have to send in the originals, make a copy and keep your original.  If you must send in the original I still believe you will do yourself a favor if you make a copy and keep it for your records. You will need these screenings for your RN license and for just about any job or volunteer position you might have in Ontario.  Save yourself money and time and keep a copy.  These background checks take anywhere from one day to two weeks to receive in my area.  They cost $40 for an occupational screen.  

After I receive the screenings I will be giving copies to my perspective employer.  They will, as I have said give me a job offer letter.  I will take that letter and the aforementioned documentation to the border.  I will then be the proud recipient of a work permit!  A copy of that will go to the CNO.  (The word of the day is COPY!)

The CNO will then finish assessing my entire file and then they will mail my RN application.  I will complete that application and send it back to them with my annual fees and anything else they tell me I need to pay.  I am not sure what fees are going to be due, however, when I completed the the initial application it came with an itemized list of all monies owed.  I am hoping that they will do they same when they send the final application.

When the CNO receives the application and fees the website says that my registration will be complete within 15 days.  There is another website that can be used to look up any nurses in Ontario, and you are advised to use that site to look for your name.  https://flo.cno.org/Register/default.aspx

What I did not know two weeks ago: 
1) If you are a US RN you  keep company with lawyers, accountants, physicians and several other professionals that do not require a labour market opinion due to the NAFTA occupation list. 
2) After I am granted the work permit and provide that to the CNO,  I am still not done satisfying the requirements. There are more fees and another application. I am really hoping that this goes quickly, but I am guarding my emotions. I will call frequently to check on the status.   I found calling was necessary to get my educational requirements completed and I do not want to take a passive route that may lead to many unnecessary weeks of waiting.

I will let you know how all of this goes but I hope to be working in about 6 weeks!

Happy Spring, 
Stephanie 


2 comments:

  1. I personally know that this person knows what she is talking about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for validating my knowledge! :)

      Delete