Tuesday, 16 April 2013

RN Work Permit for Ontario

It took three days for the Innisfil police to complete my background check and after submitting it to my new employer, the County of Simcoe, I immediately received my offer letter.  On Friday, Mother nature decided to be very fickle and dumped a very ugly ice storm on the area.  I chose to play it safe and didn't travel as I had planned.

Yesterday it was beautiful and I made a painless trip to the border in Buffalo.  I needed every piece of documentation that I brought, but in less than 30 minutes I was given a work permit.

My documentation:
Passport
Job offer letter
Diploma (a copy, I didn't take the real thing)
State of WV, RN license
Letter from the CNO which states that I met the educational requirement to sit for the CRNE
Letter from the CNO which states that I passed the CRNE

I had a letter and envelope ready to go to the CNO and on the way home I asked my phone (sometimes I really love Siri) to advise me about where I could go to send a fax.  I wound up at a privately run print shop in Vaughn, ON.  The owner made a copy of the work permit to send in regular mail as well as faxing the letter I wrote and the work permit, I am not sure if they will accept the document via fax so I did both.  She said, "I don't know what this document is but it looks important."  I replied, "You are holding my paycheck in your hands!"  I briefly explained that I have been trying for 16 months to obtain the right to work as a nurse, and that it is my work permit.  

Her dog sniffed me and got some attention.  She told me about her grandchild who is due to arrive in May and I showed her pictures of my grandson who is 22 months old.  Then she still hadn't told me what I owed her, so I asked and she said "nothing, don't worry about it." It was such a sweet act of kindness at the end of this very long road.  It reminded me that there are truly kind people everywhere.  She wished me luck and I was on my way back home.

The CNO has to send me my final application and I will return that with my annual membership fee.  Then I am finished and I can go to work.  I cannot believe this is really almost done. It feels somewhat surreal.  Pretty soon I will be back in the work force and complaining about being too tired just like very other nurse!

With a happy heart,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment